Man kind has a 3-fold problem:
- Ignorant (Rom 1:21, Gen 6:5, Eph 4:17-18, Rom 1:25, 2 Cor 4:4)
- Guilt (Rom 5:12, 18-19, Psalms 51:4, Psalms 130:3,
- Corrupt (Romans 7:14-19, Eph 2:1, Psalms 14:1-3
God gave three major Offices to Israel:
- Prophet ~Speaking God’s words – “Thus saith”, representing God to the people
- Priest – Offering sacrifices & praise because on behalf of the people, representing the people to God
- King – administering justice, represented God’s rule over the people
Jesus is the Prophet, Priest and King
- PROPHET like Moses (Deut 18:15, Luke 13:33, Matt 16:13-14, Luke 7:16, John 4:19, John 6:4,
- In John 6 we see some remarkable things when we contrast the feeding of the 5000 and the manna that came from heaven (in relation to how Jesus fulfills the role of a “prophet like unto Moses”. In John 6:5 there was a question raised by Jesus, “Where are we to buy bread, so that these may eat?”. This echoes the question that Moses raised in Numbers 11:13, “Where can I get meat for all these people?”. In John 6:41 the people grumble. In Numbers 11:1 the people grumble. In John 6:31 manna is described. In Numbers 11:7-9 the manna is described. In John 6:9 – “There is a lad here who has five barley loaves and two fish, but what are these for so many people?”, Moses raised this very question in Numbers 11:22, “We don’t have enough if all the fish in the sea were caught for them.”
- However, in Acts 3:18-26, Luke 24:27 we see that Jesus isn’t a messenger from God but He is the very source of the revelation. The prophets would say “Thus saith the Lord”, but Jesus said “The words that I speak” … “I say unto you”.
- PRIEST – He is often called a priest
- Hebrews 5:1 = characteristics of a true priest, symbolically talking the people before God – Heb 4:14, Heb 9:24, Heb 6:19-20, Heb 3:1-2, Heb 10:19-22, Heb 4:16
- He offers gifts and sacrifices for sins – Heb 10:4, Heb 9:26
- He makes intercession for the people – Heb 7:25, Heb 7:25, Rom 8:34
- He intercedes – 1 Timothy 2:5, Zech 6:13
- KING – In the Old Testament the King had authority over the nation.
- People wanted to force Jesus to be King – John 6:15, John 18:36, Matthew 4:17
- Kings rule over people hearts – Matthew 21:5
Jesus is the solution to the threefold disease of ignorance, guilt, and tyranny. Our ignorance is healed by the PROPHETIC as its light scatters the darkness of error; The PROPHET shows God to us, as Jesus said “If you have seen me you have seen the Father also”. GUILT is pardoned by the PRIEST, based on the merit of the Priest. The Priest leads us to God. Tyranny and corruption by sin is conquered by the KING. The King removes the bondage of sin and death and subdues rebellion.