I’ve just finished reading Mark Driscolls book “Confessions of a Reformission Rev”. For a long time I’ve been researching the idea of being missional and leading the church to be a missional minded church. Mark does a great job of throwing some important questions into the mix when it comes to church leadership and leading a gorwing church to be a missional church. The questions that I’ve found most useful, and will continue to work through, are:
1. How large should the church be in the next year, five years and ten years?
2. Name at least ten dogs in your church or ministry that need to be shot (i.e. what is holding us back from question 1)
3. What can you do (as senior/lead pastor) to support the leaders in your church?
4. Articulate in one sentance the mission Jesus has called your church to.
5. What can be done to bring people who are not on mission in line with the mission?
6. What ministry are you currently doing to help serve Jesus’ mission in your culture through your church?
7. On a scale of 1 to 10, with 1 being poor and 10 being excellent, how good are the attractional elements of preaching and worship at your church? What could be done to improve those scores?
8. On a scale of 1 to 10, with 1 being poor and 10 being excellent, how good is your church at equipping and sending people out to be missionaries where they live?
9. Does the community surrounding your church view you warmly or coldly? Why?
10. Which of the four elements in corporate worship is your church strongest and weakest on: singing, preaching, communion, or prayer?
11. Is your church in the “creative management”, “defensive justification” or “blaming” stage? Why do you think so?
12. On a scale of 1 to 10, with 1 being poor and 10 being excellent, how well has your church done at raising up people from within to lead? What should be done to improve this? Is there a clear path for leadership evelopment for those aspiring to become leaders?
At the end of Mark’s book he states a number of things that the Mars Hill Church needs (at the time of writing) to grow to the next stage. This was a good idea so I’ve done the same here, and please join me in praying for these:
1. Praying people. Particualry praying men who desire to lead.
2. More tech minded people to run our new media dept.
3. More facility. We are busting out of our building and need a permanent facility