OK, for a while I’ve been thinking about trying to plant my own fruit & veg so I thought I’d give it a god, and maybe along the way share some things I’m learning.
The main reasons for doing this are:
1) save money on weekly food bill
2) eat organically
3) reduce waste
That’s the experiment. Can I actually save money on my food bill?
Here’s what I’ve done so far:
– I’ve got 8 tomato plants ready to harvest any day. I put them in a large old BBQ that was no longer being used. This way they were off the floor and away from slugs/snails.
– I’ve got strips of turnip, leek, beetroot and radish growing but some have been attacked, even though there is a fleece covering them.
– I’ve got a large elderflower tree growing but have no idea how to harvest the black berries that come from them … any ideas?
– I’ve got an area of the garden that has a large blackberry bush growing that we have already had one nice blackberry crumble from!
– I’ve got a blueberry bush growing in a large pot. I aquired it in June and don’t expect any fruit until next season
– I’ve got two raspberry bushes that are producing a small harvest.