So I was out walking in the forest today and saw this tree. I know … I know … that’s what forest are made of right? Correct! But look closer at the tree in the middle of the picture. It’s crooked. It got me thinking about what made this tree crooked. Here are some of my suggestions:
1. It’s foundations weren’t deep enough and the ground moved at various times making the tree crooked
2. The trees around it (they are gone in this picture but the stumps are left as evidence) bore down on the tree in it’s younger years and created the crooked shape.
3. In an effort to get sunlight the tree moved itself.
I’m no aborist (tree person) but I think they serves as good suggestions. Then I got thinking – what makes man crooked? Are there any similarities between this tree and crooked people? Well I guess there is:
1. Perhaps, like the tree, if my foundations aren’t build on the firm foundation that is Jesus I’m going to sway and shift with every movement that passes through the church. The Psalmist said “Blessed is the man who walks not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor stands in the path of sinners, nor sits in the seat of the scornful; But his delight is in the law of the Lord, and in His law he meditates day and night. He shall be like a tree Planted by the rivers of water, That brings forth its fruit in its season, Whose leaf also shall not wither; and whatever he does shall prosper”
2. Perhaps, like the tree, I can be influenced by those around me. People come and go in my life and they will undoubtlty have an effect on me, causing me to shift my thinking and personality. Sometimes this is a good thing, sometimes not so good. It is the times when people influence me in a Godly way that helps me to stand straight and tall, pointing towards Christ. (I’d suggest that is how you know you are being influenced in a good way – they point you to Jesus!). It is those times when ungodly influences affect me that I start to bend and start to sin and become crooked.
3. Perhaps, like the tree, I go through times when I feel there is a cloud over head and I’m living in the shadows. So I seek to find a source of light that will give me some hope and peace. The trouble is the bible says “Be still and know that I am God”. When I’m in that place of darkness I am not to look for another light source apart from Him. I am not to try and get myself out of the shadows but I am to be content and sit there and know that god is in control of my life EVEN in the dark times.